QuickBooks is an accounting software that tracks your transactions, makes online payment easy, generates weekly, monthly or yearly reports, time tracks your employees, and assists in generating a fair payroll. Designed with a small business mindset, QuickBooks is most suitable for small to midsize businesses. With a variety of advanced features at an affordable rate, QuickBooks is considered among the top accounting software. Be that as it may, it still faces errors during routine tasks. The errors like QuickBooks firewall errors can hinder your work. Therefore you need to resolve it quickly.
In this article, we will learn about QuickBooks firewall error and ways to resolve it. So pick up your pen and start making notes.
What is the QuickBooks Firewall Error?
Many users face QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 frequently. This error not only hinders the work but also creates havoc at the workplace. As the same suggests, QuickBooks firewall arises because of the firewall.
The firewall might not be configured as per QuickBooks or is blocking QuickBooks’ functions causing QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 to flash on your screen. The error pops up with the message box saying: “QuickBooks Firewall Error: Cannot communicate with the company file due to a firewall.”
You will see a proper explanation of the issue in the dialogue box. The message box will also present you with a solution to configure firewall settings to resolve the issue. In simple words, a QuickBooks firewall error in windows 10 is a clear indication that the firewall is interfering with QuickBooks and causing it to malfunction.
You’ll face a QuickBooks windows firewall error while connecting to the company file during your routine tasks. This can be annoying for some and scary for others. But don’t worry as the QuickBooks firewall error is not permanent and can be resolved. However, it still abruptly stops your tasks causing delays in meeting deadlines. Therefore it is best that you fix this issue instantly.
What Causes QuickBooks Firewall Error?
QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 can pop up due to several possible reasons. For all we know that something related to the firewall is triggering the problem. Let’s have a look at the reasons that actually lead to QuickBooks firewall error windows 10.
- The firewall in your system is not configured properly.
- QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 can arise due to network connection issues.
- Damaged or corrupted .ND files.
- Malfunctioning QuickBooks database server manager.
- QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 can arise when the firewall is outdated.
- DNS settings are not set up properly.
- Your QuickBooks software is not downloaded to the latest version.
- The hosting settings are not suitable.
- QBDBMgrN which enables multiple user mode in QuickBooks is malfunctioning.
- QuickBooks firewall error can trigger when the sharing path is disturbed due to wrong folder permissions.
QuickBooks Firewall Error: Symptoms
When QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 pops on your screen and is not resolved right away, it tends to hamper your system. Here’s a list of symptoms you need to beware of:
- The system is working in a sluggish manner.
- QuickBooks firewall error flashes on the screen whenever trying to access company file.
- QuickBooks freeze or shut down very frequently.
- All the active window crashes.
- The QuickBooks crashes every now and then
- You are not able to operate QuickBooks.
- Users cannot access the company file data.
How To Fix QuickBooks Firewall Error?
It is pretty easy to resolve QuickBooks firewall error in windows 10. However, one thing you need to keep in mind is that all the steps of troubleshooting should be followed carefully. Now before we hop onto troubleshooting QuickBooks windows firewall, here are some essentials you must know:
- Make sure your system has a Quickbooks database server manager. If not, download it.
- The QuickBooks database server manager should be the same as the QuickBooks version.
Method 1: Download Latest QuickBooks Updates
When you operate outdated Quickbooks software on your system, you face several errors like QuickBooks firewall error. You can fix this problem by updating QuickBooks.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the help menu.
- From the drop-down list select QuickBooks updates.
- Go to the update now tab.
- You’ll see a list of all updates, select the ones you wish to download and click get updates.
- If prompted, react positively.
- Turn on auto-update so that you don’t miss any new updates in the future.
- Help menu > QuickBooks update > options.
Method 2: Use QuickBooks DBSM
If you are operating in multi-user mode, a QuickBooks firewall error can arise if the database server manager is not present. QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to share your company file over a network. Here’s how you came to use it:
- Go to the server computer.
- Move to the start menu.
- In the search field, type database.
- Hit enter and open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Go to the scan folders tab.
- Choose browse and hit ok once completed.
- Finally, select the start scan option.
Method 3: QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks file doctor is an amazing tool launched by Intuit. It resolves all the damages in the company file and other connectivity issues.
- Go to inuti.com and download the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Install the tool hub by following the instructions on the screen.
- Now launch QuickBooks tool hub.
- Go to company file issues.
- Tap on the Run QuickBooks file doctor option.
- Hit browse and select the company file you want to fix.
- Finally, tap on fix my file and network.
- Add your username and password > hit next.
- The tool will start scanning and resolve any issues or damages detected.
Method 4: Edit Firewall Settings
The main task of a windows firewall is to eliminate any process or thing that it recognizes as a threat to the system. Therefore, in order to avoid QuickBooks firewall error on your system you’ll need to configure firewall settings.
- Open the control panel.
- Select the firewall from here.
- Next, open advanced settings.
- Go to inbound rules.
- Click right on it and select the new rule option.
- Tap on port > next > tick TCP.
- Now enter the port number and QuickBooks version.
- Press next. Hit on allow the connection tab.
- Give the appropriate name for the rule.
- Hit finish to save the new rule.
- Perform the same steps with outbound rules.
Method 5: Rename .ND file
.ND files short for network data file allows QuickBooks to sync with the company file over a network. Any damage in the file that might be causing QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 can be resolved by renaming the file. Here’s how:
- Open the start menu and in the search field type QuickBooks.
- Click right on the gear icon.
- Tap on an open file location.
- At this location, look for the .ND file.
- Once located, right-click on it.
- Hit rename and add .old to the name.
- Perform the same procedure with all of the .ND files.
Method 6: Give Folder Permissions
When the folder containing the company file does not have access or sharing permissions, a QuickBooks firewall error will flash. In order to resolve this situation, follow the steps below:
- In the start, menu goes to file explorer.
- Locate the folder with the company file.
- Click right on it and open properties.
- Under the security section, opt for advanced.
- Next, choose QBDataServiceUserXX > edit.
Now, make sure all the options below are marked as allowed:
- Read Permissions
- List Folder/Read Data
- Write Attributes
- Read Attributes
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- Create Files/Write Data
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Extended Attributes
- In order to set correct folder permissions: click right on company file folder > properties > security > edit > QBDataServiceUserXX > full control > allow > apply > ok.
Method 7: Turn Hosting Off On the Workstation
Hosting should only be allowed on the server computer. When workstations are allowed to host, you will face many errors, let alone QuickBooks firewall error.
- Initially, launch QuickBooks in any one of the workstations.
- Do not launch the company file.
- Instead, move to the file menu > utilities.
- If you see a host multi-user option, do not tap on it and move to another workstation.
- In case you see stop hosting multi-user access in any workstation, hit on it.
- Once you have checked all the workstations, go to the server computer.
- In QuickBooks, move to the file menu.
- In utilities, tap on host multi-user mode.
- Repeat this process and click on stop hosting multi-user access.
- Doing this will reset multi-user mode.
We hope you were able to fix the QuickBooks firewall error in your system. When the error message pops, we recommend you resolve it in the early stages before your system starts showing the symptoms mentioned above. Summing up, QuickBooks firewall error arises due to misconfigured firewall settings, damaged .ND files, outdated operating systems or QuickBooks software, and many other potential causes. Each and everything about QuickBooks firewall error windows 10 is discussed in the article.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q.1: How to fix ‘cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall’ in QuickBooks?
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Use QuickBooks file doctor.
- Configure firewall settings.
- Verify hosting settings.
- Fix .ND files.
- Give access and sharing permissions to the company file folder.
Q.2: How do I fix a connection error in QuickBooks?
- Clean install QuickBooks.
- Talk to your internet provider.
- Delete caches and junk files.
- Disconnect and then connect to the internet.
- Check if the website is down or not.
- Check your portable device.
- Update QuickBooks.
Q.3: How do I get rid of the unrecoverable errors in QuickBooks?
- Update QuickBooks.
- Download the latest operating system updates.
- Run QuickBooks toll hub.
- Access the install diagnostic tool.
- Run the rebuild utility tool in QuickBooks.
Q.4: How do I uncorrupt a QuickBooks file?
- Open QuickBooks > file menu.
- Go to utilities.
- Select rebuild data utility.
- The tool will uncorrupt all corrupted QuickBooks files.