QuickBooks requires windows components in order to perform a successful installation of the software. so while installing the QuickBooks Desktop, you may encounter the QuickBooks error 1603 message on the screen. it can be really disturbing as you won’t anymore able to access your financial information and if you are in the middle of something and you need to quickly access the software then it can be really drastic. However. you can troubleshoot the Quickbooks error 1603 by repairing or re-installing the damaged windows components like .Net framework, Microsoft Visual C++, And Windows MSXML. These components are mostly pre-installed when you install the windows, but if you found them damage then either you can update your windows or you can install these components separately.
What is QuickBooks Error 1603?
QuickBooks error 1603 is basically an installation error. You might face this error when you are trying to either install or update your QuickBooks desktop. This error generally occurs when the file that you are trying to install is either damaged or corrupted. This can also happen if the file is not downloaded properly. To avoid this error, make sure that you download QuickBooks and its updates from the official website of Intuit only. Now let’s find out how you can fix this error.
If you have already installed QuickBooks into your computer but it’s showing QuickBooks won’t Open error then you might need to perform a clean install to troubleshoot these errors. Try fixing this error by restarting your computer and then disabling the anti-malware software temporarily and try opening the QuickBooks software again to check if the error is resolved.
Reasons that Lead to QuickBooks Error 1603
- Any components of Windows are missing that are required to install QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks installation files are damaged.
- .Net Framework Component is missing or damaged.
- Microsoft MSXML and Microsoft Visual C++ components are missing.
Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 1603
Knowing the symptoms is important to know about the prevalence of the error. It will help you to resolve the error quickly and efficiently. Let’s begin.
- Damaged installation of QuickBooks software.
- Using outdated OS Version.
- Not Using an Updated version of QBs software.
- It occurs when your company file is locked.
- Corrupted MSXML and C++ components.
- A damaged MS Windows Installer.
- Incomplete installation of MS Net 1.1 SP1.
- Your Temp folder of windows is full.
- Your installation procedure doesn’t receive the permissions.
Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1603
Following are the different methods that will help you to fix the QuickBooks Error code 1603.
Solution: 1 Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
if you have encountered QuickBooks error 1603 then you must use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool. This tool will automatically detect the damage and repair the required Microsoft components like .Net framework, Microsoft MSXML, and Microsoft Visual C++. You need to simply install and run the tool and the tool will diagnose the issue on its own. Follow these steps:
- Go to the official QB website and download the install diagnostic tool installation file.
- Run the installation file and follow the prompted instructions to complete the installation process.
- Now wait until the process completes generally, it takes 20-25 minutes to complete the diagnosis process.
- Once you are done, restart your computer and try opening the QuickBooks software again.
Solution: 2 Repair the Damaged Files Manually
There might be some issues that the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool may not resolve. In that case, we might need to repair these windows components manually in order to troubleshoot the error. If you are not comfortable troubleshooting the error then you can consult with an expert to get assistance. They will help you to troubleshoot this issue with the proper steps. However, If you are confident enough to troubleshoot this error on your own, then you need to follow these steps one by one:
Step: 1 Install Windows Update
If you have windows 10, 8.1, or 8 then you need to follow these steps:
- Open the settings from the start menu.
- Now go to the update and security window.
- Click on Check for Updates to check for the availability of any updates.
- If there is any update then install the update.
Follow the given steps for windows 7
- Open the control panel window from the start menu.
- Now open the system and security window.
- Click on windows update and then click on check for updates.
- Install the update if available.
Step: 2 Windows Installer Service
- Click on the start menu and go to the control panel window.
- Open the system and security window and click on Administrative tools.
- Choose the services and then choose the windows installer service from the list.
- Press the restart option.
Step: 3 Fix Microsoft .Net Framework
- Go to the control panel and click on uninstall a program.
- Go to windows features and ensure that .Net Framework 3.5.1 and 4.5 are unchecked.
- After this restart your device and then check it again.
- Restart your device.
Step: 4 Re-install Microsoft Components
- Open the control panel and click on uninstall a program.
- Now select the windows Microsoft Components from the list and click on Uninstall/change.
- After this restart your device and then download the components again.
Read Also: QuickBooks update error 15106.
After following these steps completely, you need to perform the installation of QuickBooks software again. while, if you are still getting errors then it might be because of some other reasons that need to follow the next troubleshooting method to fix this.
Sol 3: Repair the MSXML 4.0
To repair the MSXML 4.0, you need to carry out the QBs installation process. Follow the below-mentioned steps for installation via CD.
- Put the CD in your computer system to enter the installation window.
- Now, you need to close all the background processes.
- Then, follow the below-listed steps according to your OS.
Windows 7 or Vista
- Locate the start button.
- Type the msiexec.exe /fvaum “D:\QBOOKS\msxml.msi in the search bar, and press Enter.
- You can change the d with your cd name.
- Press the Windows +R key simultaneously to access the Run box.
- Type up the msiexec.exe /fvaum “D:\QBOOKS\msxml.msi in the search bar, and hit Enter.
Sol 4: Install the QuickBooks Software in Windows Safe Boot
Following are the steps that will help you to start the system in safe mode and then you can install the QBs desktop application.
- Go for the start button.
- Type System Configuration in the search area, and then press enter.
- Tick mark the Safe boot option under the Boot tab.
- After that, hit the ok button and then apply.
- Next, restart your computer system. Your system will start in the safe boot.
- Once done, install the Qbs software and finish the registration procedure.
- Again go for the system configuration and uncheck the safe boot option under the boot tab.
- Launch your QB desktop to check whether the issue is troubleshot or not.
Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop
- First of all, navigate towards the start button.
- Type the Control panel in the field, and single-click on it.
- Now, Click on the programs or uninstall a program.
- Select the QBs software from the list.
- After that, right-mouse click on it and choose the option Uninstall.
- At last, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the uninstallation process.
Configure Your System Security Settings
When you have the wrong settings of the system security, it won’t let your application be successfully installed. Here are the steps that will help you to correct the settings.
- To start with, log in with your admin credentials to your computer system.
- Press the Windows+R keys together.
- Type “gpedit.msc” in the Run box and press enter.
- Then, single-click on the option Computer configuration.
- Now, you have to select the option Administrative Templates.
- Once done, click on windows components followed by windows installer.
- After that, click twice on the Prohibit User Install choice.
- Thereafter, single-click on the choice Not Configured and hit ok.
- To end with, you need to install the QB software again.
We have mentioned all the information related to the error. In case, you have tried the above methods and you are still facing the QuickBooks error 1603 then you can contact experts at QuickBooks Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 What are the potential risks of encountering QuickBooks Error 1603?
The potential risk of QuickBooks error 1603 is the intrusion of viruses and malware attacks on your system. You are required to keep your QuickBooks upgraded to have the most out of the software.
Q.2 How do I fix rebuild errors in QuickBooks desktop?
For rebuilding errors on the desktop, you are required to get into the file menu and then select utilities. Here, you can see an option to rebuild data. Click ok to get done and wait till the error repairs itself.
Q.3 How do I restore QuickBooks to my desktop?
To restore QuickBooks to your desktop, you need to open the company file and get into the file menu. After that, click Restore company file, and now you will have to enter the location for the file to save. Here, you can enter your desktop location to restore the QuickBooks to your desktop.