QuickBooks Error 6177 is one of the most common errors that a user can face while trying to access a company file. A user can face this error if he is trying to access a file locally that is present or stored on the server. You can also encounter this error if you have any network issue if your software is not updated or for many other similar reasons. You can face this error usually when you are using the QuickBooks software in a multi-user mode.
In this article, we have talked about different ways in which you can resolve the QuickBooks error 6177. We have mentioned different reasons why you can face this error and the steps that you need to follow to resolve the error code 6177 easily.
What is QuickBooks Error 6177?
While using QuickBooks on your PC, you might face the error 6177. This error generally occurs when you are trying to open a company file but it is just not happening. This can happen when your QuickBooks is in multi-user mode and more than one person is trying to work on the same company file. To fix this, you can download and install the QuickBooks tool hub on your system and run the QuickBooks file doctor. This will automatically diagnose and fix this QuickBooks error.
Causes of the QuickBooks Error 6177
QuickBooks error 6177 can be caused due to a variety of factors. This error disturbs payroll distribution & accounting procedures. Here are some of the causes listed below. Let’s have a look.
- When you delete the QBs reslated file by mistake.
- If you move your QBs company file from one computer to another system.
- The error 6177 occurs because of the corrupted file path of QBs company file.
- Malware or virus attacks can lead to the QuickBooks Error 6177.
- Corrupted installation of the software can trigger this error.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6177
Here is a list of all the methods that you can use if you are facing the QuickBooks error 6177. You can opt for any method that works best for you. We have mentioned simple steps to follow related to them.
The first recommended method is to update the Quickbooks software on your system. We recommend you update the QuickBooks so that you can make your Quickbooks and your system compatible. There are chances that when you will update the Quickbooks software, it will automatically resolve many errors that were present in the earlier version of Quickbooks. To update the QuickBooks on your system, follow the steps mentioned below:
- The first step is to open the QuickBooks software.
- In the QuickBooks software, you will see an option for help. Click on the option.
- There you will have to go to the desktop option. You will get a list of the QuickBooks versions.
- Select all the options and tap on the update tab.
- After this, it will automatically update your software. Once done, reboot your system.
Shift the Company File to the Hard Drive
The other recommended solution is to shift the company file to the hard drive on your system. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- The first thing that you have to do is to look for the desired company file. Once found, you will have to go to the C drive by your server.
- Next, you will be required to open your company file using the QuickBooks software.
- The next step is to create a movable file and store it in the C drive.
- After this, you will have to retrieve the same moveable file through your server.
- Once retrieved, the next step is to use the file on your server.
Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The next recommended solution is to use the QuickBooks file doctor tool to resolve all the issues that you are facing because of your files or the network. You can download and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official website and open the company file with it so that it can automatically repair the issues that you are facing.
Reset the Multi-User Hosting in QuickBooks
We will recommend you use this method if you are using the full version of the QuickBooks software on your server. We recommend you reset all the settings in the multi-user mode. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- The first thing is to open the QuickBooks software and then go to the files option.
- There you will have to go to the utility option to stop the multi-user mode.
- Once you have stopped the multi-user mode, you are needed to restart the QuickBooks software without opening the company file.
- The next step is to restart the multi-user hosting mode in the utility section.
- Once done, you will have to return the QuickBooks software and check if the error persists.
Fix QuickBooks Error 6177 Manually
Look for the Network File
The first step to manually fix this error is to find the network data file or a file with .ND extension Follow the steps mentioned below.
- The first step is to find the .ND file in the QuickBooks folder on your server.
- Once found, you are required to delete the file from the folder and save it.
Configuring the Database Server Manager
The next step is to configure the database manager if you are using the QuickBooks software in a multi-user mode. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- The first step is to download and install the QuickBooks database server manager on your system. you can download it from the official website.
- Once it is done, you will have to start the database manager.
- You will see an option to choose the database. Choose the QuickBooks database.
- After this, you will be needed to open the folder where your desired company file is present.
- After this, click on the file and open it.
- Now, you will have to scan the file.
- Wait till the scan is not completed. Once completed, restart your Software.
QuickBooks error 6177 can disrupt the smooth working of the QuickBooks software and hence needed to be resolved soon. We believe that all the ways that are discussed above will help you to fix the QuickBooks 6177 error. If you are struggling to resolve the issue, contact our support team and they will assist you with the process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why won’t my QuickBooks activate?
While activating QuickBooks, if you are not able to do so then one of the major reasons for this can be that you are entering the wrong or incorrect license code.
Q2. How long can I use QuickBooks 2017?
You can use QuickBooks 2017, but since 2020, QuickBooks has discontinued QuickBooks 2017, so you would not receive any updates on it.
Q3. Can I use QuickBooks without activation?
To use QuickBooks, you will have to activate the QuickBooks license. However, you can start to use QuickBooks and choose to activate the license later.