Quickbooks, like any other application, has some glitches that a user can face while performing a certain task on Quickbooks. Though the glitches don’t make it any less reliable software it is also important to get rid of those errors or glitches that you can face. In this blog, we are intended to discuss one such error. This article is written for a very frequent error that a user can face which is a file exists error in Quickbooks. You are going to face this error when you try to perform an action in Quickbooks like updating payrolls, printing a form, opening a form, paying for your liabilities, and many more. You will get a big prompt message on your screen whenever you try to act Quickbooks. The message usually indicates that the desired file can not be accessed because it is opened in another program. In this article, we have explained to you different reasons for which you face this error and the different solutions that you can opt for to resolve Quickbooks error the file exists. If you still wish to take technical advice, then you can reach our support team.
What is a File Exists Error in QuickBooks?
While saving any new file in QuickBooks or transferring any file to your QuickBooks, sometimes you might see an error saying “File Exists”. This error generally occurs when a file with a similar name already exists in your QuickBooks. To fix this error, you can either change the name of any of the files, either the previous one or the new one. Other than this, you can also delete the older file if it is no longer useful. There can also be various other reasons for this issue like bad internet connection, non configuration in internet explorer and QuickBooks, etc.
Possible reasons of QuickBooks “the file exists” error
- If your internet connection is acting up then you are going to face Quickbooks error the file exists.
- Other than that, the most common reason is the obsolete version of the firewall.
- Erroneous security settings of your internet browser.
- Obsolete version of the Quickbooks you are using on your system.
- Disruption in the process due to user account control.
- You are not having enough permissions to carry out the process or you are not using your system with the admin account.
- The last and one of the common reasons is that you have installed the Quickbooks on your system either incorrect or incomplete.
Different approaches to solve QuickBooks error the file exists
Below we have mentioned different approaches that you can opt for if you want to resolve the Quickbooks error the file exists . There may need to read about the Quickbooks ND file. If you see any error you need to solve it immediately.
Close user account control settings
- The initial step is to open the windows settings on your system.
- There you will get an option for the user account control (UAC).
- You will have to check if it is turned on or off.
- In case it is enabled, you are required to disable them.
- Once done, restart your system.
Find out available updates for QuickBooks
- The initial step is to initiate the Quickbooks and then go to the properties option.
- There you will be able to see the version of the Quickbooks software that you are using.
- Once found, you will have to look for updates of the quickbooks software that you can search for using the get update option.
- If you get any updates, you will have to download them.
- After it is downloaded, you will have to install it. Follow all the instructions mentioned on the screen for you.
- Once all the above steps are completed, you will have to restart your system and check if you are facing the file exists QuickBooks error.
Register QuickBooks again with the help of the reboot.dat file
- The first step is to Close the Quickbooks application from your system.
- Once done, you will have to click on the icon of the Quickbooks software and then go to the properties option.
- There you will find the full path of the folder that contains the reboot.dat file on your system.
- After this, you will have to go to the folder and then click on the reboot.dat file.
- It will then start the process and will open up a command prompt.
- Once the process is completed and the command prompt is closed, you will have to restart your system.
Give full access to files to the user
- The initial step in this process is to click on the QuickBooks icon and then go to the properties option.
- There you will have to go to the location of the file and then delete the address of the file.
- Once you are done with this, you will have to go to the folder of Quickbooks and go to the properties option of the folder.
- There, you will have to go to the security option and then edit it. After this, you will have to add a new user.
- Next, you are needed to select the everyone option and then save it.
- Next, you will be required to opt for the full access option and save.
- Lastly, you will have to restart your system and then see if the error remains.
Read more:- How to fix QuickBooks multi user mode not working?
Resolve QuickBooks error the file exists during printing forms
- First, you will have to open the control panel on your system.
- After this, you will see an option for the driver and printer.
- You will then have to delete the select the device with which you are facing the error and then delete it.
- Next, you will have to close the Quickbooks from your system.
- The next step is to go to the Quickbooks folder and look for the qbprint.qbp file and then remove it from the folder.
- After you have done this, you will be required to restart your system and print again.
All the feasible solutions to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error the file exists have been mentioned above. If you are still facing an error you can contact our support team that is always available to help you. We believe that the ways have helped you to fix the error. In case you are still struggling with the error, we will be glad to help you with it. You can communicate with our expert team to guide you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do you fix payroll errors the file you specified Cannot be opened and the file exists?
This might happen if you do not have appropriate permissions. To fix this, you can either try to run QuickBooks as an admin or update the system permission on your Windows.
Q2. What is the error company file in use in QuickBooks?
While trying to open a Company file, you might see the pop-up error company file in use. This error might occur if you have selected single-user mode on your QuickBooks and someone else is using that file. To fix this, you can set your QuickBooks to multiple users mode. However, some other reasons for this issue can also be network errors, database issues, etc.
Q3. Can QuickBooks get corrupted?
Yes, a QuickBooks file can get corrupted. There can be many reasons for it including system shutdown, hardware or software issue, network issue, and malware attack or viruses.