QuickBooks is unable to open the company file is the most commonly occurred error that you can face when you are trying to open the file. There can be various reasons why you can face the QuickBooks unable to open company file error.
In this article, we have mentioned the reasons why you can face the QuickBooks cannot open company file error and different ways in which you can tackle this error. Stay tuned to the article to know how you can get rid of the QuickBooks unable to open company file error easily.
Reasons for QuickBooks Unable to Open Company File Error
Below we have mentioned all the reasons which you can encounter the QuickBooks unable to open company file error:
- Incorrect extension of the file.
- Corrupted company file.
- Issues with the transaction log file of the system.
- QuickBooks version is not the same as that of the company file.
- Using an incorrect way to open the file.
Things to Remember Before Start Troubleshooting
Before going with the further process to solve the QuickBooks unable to open the company file error, you need to keep the things mentioned below in your mind:
- The very first thing is that you need to make sure that you are using the latest version of the QuickBooks software.
- Another thing that you need is to make sure that you are operating the file in single-user mode. You need to follow the steps mentioned to verify the same.
- The very first step is to go to the File menu and then go to the utility option.
- After this, you will have to click on the option to stop the multi-user hosting.
- Next, you will have to verify it and then close it.
- After this, when you try to open the QuickBooks software you are needed to press the Ctrl key together.
Ways to Fix the QuickBooks Unable to Open a Company File Error
Here is the list of ways in which you can fix the QuickBooks unable to open a company file error. Follow the methods as they are mentioned:
Check the Properties of the Company File
The very first solution is to check the properties of the QuickBooks file. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you are needed to open the folder in which you have saved your file.
- Next, you are needed to go to the file and then go to the properties section of the file.
- Now, you are needed to check that the file type is the QuickBooks file and then check the size of the file. The size should be a minimum of 7 MB.
- After this, you will have to make sure that you are needed to click on the advance settings option and then make sure that you have unchecked the boxes for compress and the encrypt option.
- After this, you are needed to terminate the process.
Rename Your “.TLG” & “.ND” File Extensions
You need to change the file extensions and rename the file name. Follow the below-listed steps to rename the name of the company file.
- Firstly, open your QBs file.
- Then, right-mouse click on the “.TLG” & “.ND” files.
- Change the name of the file by adding .old at the end to both of the files.
- Lastly, click on the Save option.
Read more:- How to resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working?
Move Company File to Some Other Folder
The next method that we are going to discuss is that you are needed to shift the company file to some other folder. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you will need to create a folder in the c drive.
- After this, you will need to go to the folder where you have stored the QuickBooks company file.
- After this, you will be needed to copy the company file and the transaction file from there.
- Paste both the files into the new folder.
- Lastly, you will have to open the file.
Don’t Allow the QuickBooks Window to Open
The next method that we are going to discuss is to not let QuickBooks open automatically. You need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you are needed to choose the file that will be present in QuickBooks no company window.
- After this, You are needed to press the Alt key and then proceed to open it.
In case you are not facing any error but still failing to open the QuickBooks file, you are needed to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, you are needed to go to the Edit option and then click on the preference option.
- After this, you will have to click on the desktop view option and then click on the do not save desktop option.
- Lastly, you will have to click on Ok.
Troubleshoot with the QuickBooks Installation
QuickBooks Installation is needed when you are not able to open or access the company file. To resolve this error, first, you need to check whether the issue is with your QuickBooks software or with the computer system, or the company file. To check this, copy the file that has an error to the other system. Then try to open the file, if it is open then your system or the QBs software has an issue.
Run the QB Clean Install Tool
Here are the steps that you need to follow to run the clean install tool.
- To start with, you must download the QB tool hub.
- Hit the QuickBookstoolhub.exe file to open it.
- Follow the instructions & select the “I agree” to accept the license agreement.
- Now, double-click on the tool hub icon to run the software.
- After that, Single-click on the clean install tool by choosing the installation issues tab.
- Select the version of your QBs software and hit continue.
- Click OK on the displayed message.
- The QB clean Installation tool scans the error and removes it automatically.
- Lastly, you need to reinstall the QuickBooks desktop app on your system.
Read more:- How to Download & Install QuickBooks Desktop?
We have mentioned the reasons along with the fixing methods that will help you to troubleshoot the QuickBooks unable to open company file error. We also provided you with some tips that you should remember before starting the resolving methods. Hopefully, this article is worthful and informative to you and you can easily get rid of this error. Moreover, if you are stuck at any point, do not worry we are here to help you out.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 – How do I fix a QuickBooks company file that won’t open?
Answer – Here are the steps that you should follow:
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks.
- Choose the right company file.
- Change the name of the extensions file.
- Navigate the location.
- Verify the File Extension.
- Change the name of the company file.
Q.2 – How does a Quickbooks file get corrupted?
Answer – QuickBooks files can get corrupted due to many reasons:
- The connection has been lost
- The file size is too big.
- Shut down the system.
- Hardware issues.
Q.3 – What are the causes behind the error unable to open the QuickBooks company file?
Answer – Following are the reasons behind not being able to open the QuickBooks company file:
- The company file is damaged.
- The company file is corrupted due to a damaged hard drive.
- Issues related to the extension and location of the file.
- Your QuickBooks is not updated.