QuickBooks error code 6189 belongs to a QuickBooks error -6000 family. These errors are considered to be critical errors. It is also called a run time error because QuickBooks error 6189 only occurs when you are trying to open a file or create a new file. If you are also facing Quickbooks error 6189 816 and do not know how to resolve this error, don’t worry we have got you covered. We have mentioned different ways in which you can resolve this error. Various ways have been mentioned so you can see whichever works for you.
Cause of QuickBooks Error 6189 816
- There are chances that your “.tlg” file is missing or it can be lost.
- The other reason can be that the QuickBooks file in your system is damaged or corrupted.
- There are chances that you have not granted enough permissions to your system so that the software can work.
- If you do not have an upgraded version of multi-user QuickBooks software it can still cause QuickBooks error code 6189.
- There are chances that your stored data have been lost by the server manager.
- If you are using any encrypted software and you are using it with your QuickBooks software, it can cause QuickBooks error 6189 816.
- Even if you have not upgraded your QuickBooks software it can also lead to this problem.
Indications of the QuickBooks Error 6189 816
Following are some common indications through which you can easily identify the prevailing QuickBooks Error 6189 816.
- When your screen gets frozen suddenly, it means your software has a 6189 error.
- In case you are trying to open your company file in the most updated version, you might see the message that says “Incorrect File”.
- Your windows system responds very slowly to the system inputs.
- You can’t access your company files after restarting your Qbs software.
- Your company data file fails to connect with the QBs software.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6189 816
We will mention different methods to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6189 816. Follow these methods in a sequential manner.
Try to Open a Sample File
- Start your QuickBooks application first.
- You will see no company file window. Open that window.
- There you will see a list of all the files that you have in your system.
- There will also be an option to open a random file.
- You are needed to click on the random file option.
- If you still encounter the same error, you should try to repair your installation file.
- In case your sample file opens up, you can try the other solutions that are given.
Also See: QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error.
Shut Down Pre-Running QuickBooks Processes
- The first step is to log in to your system as an administrator.
- Next, You will have to open the windows task manager and go to the “users” option.
- In the “users” option, you can see all the processes that are currently running on your system.
- Look for the QuickBooks processes that are currently running.
- When found, click on every process and end the process.
- Once you have closed every process, you can restart your QuickBooks software in the multi-user mode.
Use the QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- The first thing is that you need to have the QuickBooks refresher tool in your system. If you do not have it, you can download it from the official site.
- Once you have downloaded it, you will be required to save that file on your desktop.
- It will ask you for account permission. Grant access.
- Accept the conditions provided to you and wait for it to install in your system.
- This process may take time.
- Once it is installed in your system, You need to start it and look for the fix QuickBooks option.
- Click on that option and it will fix it.
Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
- The first step is to shut down your QuickBooks software.
- The next step is to download the QuickBooks tool hub on your system. You can download it from the official site.
- Once downloaded, go to the location where your file is saved. Once you have found the file, click on the file.
- Terms and conditions prompt will open up, Accept them to start the installation.
- Once installed, open the software.
- You will see a program problem tab on the left side.
- Go to the tab and then you can click on the fix problem option.
- Once it is done, You can restart your QuickBooks software.
Use QuickBooks Server Manager
- Now that you have downloaded the QuickBooks tool hub, you can use it to fix error 6189. If you have not installed it, you can read the above method to know the installation steps.
- In the tool hub, you will see a network issue option, click on that.
- After that, you can see the QuickBooks Database server manager tab, click on the tab.
- When you will click on it you will be redirected to the other page. There you will see a start scan tab. Click on that tab.
- Scan your files and it will automatically update your antivirus settings.
- Once it is all completed, you can restart the QuickBooks software.
Rename the .ND and .TLG Extension
The network data file & transaction log files permit QBs software to open a QBW file (QBS company file) in a multi-user mode. In case the company file in QuickBooks gets corrupted because of any reason, you might see error QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. You just change the extension by adding the “.Old” extension to fix this 6000 series error. Here is how:
- First of all, you must open the company file folder.
- Locate the company file that has the extension “.ND” and “.TLG”.
- After that, right-mouse click on those files and choose the Rename option.
- Once done, add the “.Old” extension at the end of the company file.
- At last, open the QBs again and try to open your QBW files. If the error still persists, go for the next method.
Update QuickBooks Desktop
Whenever you find any error in QuickBooks, updating the QBs desktop is enough to resolve the error. Follow the below-given steps to update your outdated QBs version to its latest version.
- First and foremost, navigate towards the Help menu, & tap on the option Update QuickBooks.
- Then, single-click on Update Now.
- Check Mark the boxes and tap on the option Get Updates.
- Lastly, reboot your computer system.
This was all about the QuickBooks error 6189 816. A detailed description of QuickBooks error code 6189 has been presented to you and all the methods to fix the errors have been mentioned. If you are seeking any technical guidance, we are available for you 24×7 and provide you with accurate solutions for this error.