QuickBooks is considered to be a great software because by the time it is enhancing its features to provide its users ease at work. QuickBooks has also introduced a feature to merge QuickBooks company files. You can merge QuickBooks files that belong to different companies and track the financial records. It makes it easier for QuickBooks users to read and analyze monetary transactions. A QuickBooks user can merge QuickBooks files like balance sheets. profit and loss transactions and many other transaction files.
In this article, we have mentioned three different ways that you can opt for if you want to merge two QuickBooks files. Read the article carefully to know how to merge QuickBooks files without facing any errors.
Things to do Before Merging QuickBooks Files
You need to remember the below-listed points before merging two company files with the help of QuickBooks software.
- You can merge two accounts when they are in the same standard and have a similar name & type.
- You can’t merge two accounts if they have different spellings.
- When the accounts do not have the same account number, they can’t be merged in QuickBooks.
- You are unable to merge the files if they have different levels.
- Ensure that your accounts are in multi-user while merging.
- The merged reports need to be clear & understandable. It should be easy to read.
Some Data are not Allowed for Merging
Check out the list of the restricted data from merging in QuickBooks. Let’s have a look.
- You can not merge the data of the Sales & Tax Files because of the continuous modification that takes place within the data.
- The To-do list and Customer list can’t be merged.
- It is very hard to merge the data file that contains negative inventory.
- You cannot merge the bank reconciliation.
- The payroll checks are very hard to merge.
- QB doesn’t support the memorized transactions and customer fields.
Procedures to Follow to Merge QuickBooks File
Below we have mentioned the procedure to merge QuickBooks files in three methods and all the methods have been mentioned in an elaborated manner to help you. Read the below steps carefully and perform them to avoid any errors:
Employ QuickBooks Combine Report
QuickBooks comes up with a lot of in-built features to provide a smooth working experience to its users. Combine reports is one such feature provided by the QuickBooks software and our first step is to use the same. You can use this feature to combine a lot of files in QuickBooks. Follow the steps mentioned below to use the combined reports feature for QuickBooks merge company files:
- The initial step is to on the main menu of QuickBooks you will be required to go to the reports section.
- After this, it will open up a menu for you and you will have to choose the combine report option from there.
- Next, you will be needed to select the option to add files and then look for the files that you want to add.
- You are needed to repeat this process for every company file that you want to add and then combine.
- Now, it will ask you for the date range and you will have to select the same.
- Next, you will be required to select the report basis.
- You will now have to choose the option to combine reports in excel.
- Once done, it will open a new window in Excel with the information combined.
Read more - How to resolve QuickBooks won't export to excel?
Use any Third Party Application
The other method to merge QuickBooks files is to use the third-party application provided by Intuit. You can find many applications that are compatible with the QuickBooks software and are easily available on the Intuit website. Keep a note in mind that any of the third-party applications are not compatible with the QuickBooks mac software and to combine files you will have to switch to other methods. For other versions, you can download an application from the Intuit website and use it to merge QuickBooks files more easily. If you do not want to install a third-party application, you will be needed to move to another solution.
Merge Files Manually
The next solution is to export the reports manually and then merge the QuickBooks file using MS Excel on your system. Read the steps carefully.
- The initial step is to open the data file that you want to merge.
- Next, you will have to make a report of all the data files.
- Next, you will be needed to export the report to the MS Excel worksheet opened on the system.
- Now, you will have to close the data file you have opened.
- Now, you will have to open another data file.
- After this, you will have to make a report of the file and then export it to a new MS Excel worksheet but make sure that they are present in the same workbook.
- Now, you will be required to open the MS excel on your system and then open the workbook in which you have added the reports.
- Now, you will have to merge the reports that you have exported into different worksheets and then merge them separately into another worksheet.
- Lastly, when you are done you will have to close the Excel application.
Hopefully, the process of merging the QuickBooks files is now clear to you. You can opt for any of the methods that are mentioned above. If you are seeking any technical advice or assistance for your concern, you can contact our support team regarding your concern.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 – How to merge two QuickBooks company files?
- Log in to the company file as admin.
- From the File menu, choose the option Utilities.
- Tap on Import & use the option Import IIF.
- Choose the IIF file you wish to import & choose Open.
- Tap on OK.
Q.2 – How to merge backup files in QuickBooks?
Answer: The process is no different than merging the company files in QuickBooks. You just need to select the IIF file as your backup file and you are good to go.
Q.3 – How do I merge invoices in QuickBooks?
- Under the + New menu, choose the option Invoice.
- Select the client name.
- Look for the estimates & tap on Add.
- From the ‘How much do you want to invoice?’ window, choose the appropriate option that works best for the transactions.
- Select Copy to invoice.
- Lastly, tap on Save
Q.4 – Why would you merge accounts in QuickBooks online?
Answer: There are a few reasons why you might want to consider merging your QuickBooks Online Accounts.
- One reason to merge your accounts is to consolidate your data. If you have multiple accounts, you may have duplicate data in each account. Merging your accounts will allow you to have one set of data that is accurate and up-to-date.
- Another reason to merge your QuickBooks Online Accounts is to save time. Having multiple accounts can be time-consuming, particularly when it comes to managing invoices, payments, and other transactions. Merging your accounts can help you save time by reducing the amount of data entry you need to do.
- Finally, merging your QuickBooks Online Accounts can help you reduce costs. If you are paying for multiple subscriptions, you can save money by consolidating those subscriptions into one account.
Q.5 – How do you merge QuickBooks files together into one company?
Answer: To merge QuickBooks files together into a single company file, follow these steps.
- From the File menu, go to Utilities.
- Click Import & tap on Import IIF.
- Select the files & hit Open. Click on OK.