Worst is the feeling when a perfectly fine work day is interrupted by an uninvited troublemaker like QuickBooks error 1606. Many users complain about facing this error in their routine tasks. The most asked question about QuickBooks error code 1606 is what it means and why am I facing it?
Are you too stuck with this error? Do you want to get rid of it? Are you confused and tired of looking for good solutions to resolve error 1606 QuickBooks install? Then you are exactly where you should be. We are here to enlighten you with a quick-fix guide to QuickBooks error 1606.
QuickBooks Error 1606 | An Outline
In order to resolve QuickBooks error code 1606, it is crucial to know what it is. Learning the meaning of an error is the key to proceeding further toward the causes and eliminating methods. QuickBooks error 1606 is just another installation error. You may come across this troublemaker when downloading updates.
When your settings are misconfigured or registry entries are corrupted and you try to install the updates, you will see this error. A message will pop up on your screen saying: “error 1606 could not access network location QuickBooks.”
There can be a lot of potential causes for the issue but the most common one is when the user account is pointed toward a non-existing location via the registry. This can happen due to a lot of reasons, which we’ll discuss further.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error 1606
When QuickBooks error code 1606 flashes, there can be several different reasons for it. It is important to know the causes of an error in order to resolve it from its root. Furthermore, this helps make sure that the issue doesn’t arise again.
- When the profile of the user is either corrupted or damaged, error 1606 could not access network location QuickBooks message pops up.
- QuickBooks is not installed properly.
- There are certain issues in the setup file causing error 1606 QuickBooks install.
- The registry files are damaged.
- The installation disc is destructed.
Read More - How to Download and setup QuickBooks Clean Install Tool?
Instant Fixes for QuickBooks Error 1606
It is a normal human tendency to react in panic when things go south. But don’t worry, we’ve brought you some foolproof and well-researched methods to resolve QuickBooks error 1606 that just flashed on your screen. All you have to do is follow the instructions carefully without missing any steps.
Method 1: Use Admin Account To Install QuickBooks
There are certain circumstances when error 1606 QuickBooks install pops and there is nothing wrong in your system. But how? This is because you are not using an admin account to download and install updates.
- Start by restarting your system.
- Now, log into your profile using Admin Credentials.
- Make sure you enter the correct username and password. Double-check if needed.
- Try to install updates, if the error persists. Move to the next solution.
Method 2: Disconnect Parallel Accounts (Only For Windows 7 Users)
Windows 7 offers a parallel accounting feature. You can use a parallel account to manage other operating systems on one computer. If QuickBooks error 1606 arises, parallel accounts can be a major reason for it. Follow these steps to disconnect it:
- Start by signing out of your parallel account.
- Now, log in to the system.
- Navigate to parallel desktop >> devices >> shared folders.
- Tap on the disconnect all button.
- Log out of the parallel you are using currently, later.
- Now sign into your system in a normal account. Install QuickBooks here.
Method 3: Create A New Admin Account In Your System
The thing about an issue arising with your admin profile is that you can make a new user profile with admin rights and the issue is resolved within minutes. Similarly, if QuickBooks error 1606 is arising due to a corrupted admin profile, follow these steps:
Windows 10 Users:
- Tap on the settings option in the start menu.
- Go to the accounts tab.
- Tap on family and other users.
- Now, click other users >> Add Someone Else on this PC >> I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Tap on Add a user without Microsoft Account.
- Type credentials for the account. (username and password)
- Tap the finish button.
- After the account is created, you’ll have to go to account type.
- Set the account type to administrator. Hit okay.
For Windows 7 and 8 Users:
- Type User Accounts in the search field.
- You’ll see the list full of programs, and select user accounts.
- Next, you’re gonna tap on manage another account.
- Tap on create a new account.
- Enter the credentials.
- Set the account type as administrator.
- And finally, finish.
Read More - How to Crack QuickBooks Admin Password?
Method 4: Switch To Selective Startup Mode To Install QBs
When QuickBooks is not installed properly QuickBooks error 1606 and many more such errors occur. Therefore, switch to the selective startup mode to install the QuickBooks software smoothly without any issues. Here’s how you can do that:
- Launch run command. (Windows +R)
- Enter ‘MSConfig’ in the field and hit enter.
- A window will open. Navigate to the general section.
- Tap on ‘Selective startup’ and Load system services.
- The services section will open.
- Next, you’ll have to choose to Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Tap on disable all.
- Untick the box next to Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Next, you will have to ensure that the windows installer is added and marked in the services list.
- Select restart from the system configuration tab.
Method 5: Use Safe Mode To Download QuickBooks
Downloading windows in safe mode means your software will be error-free and free of bugs as well. Therefore any error like QuickBooks error code 1606 arising due to bugs in the software, will be resolved by downloading QBs in safe mode. Here’s how you can do that:
- Reboot your system.
- During the restart procedure, press and hold the F8 key on your keyboard.
- Hold onto F8 key until Advanced Boots Options appear.
- Press the downward navigation key to bring the highlight to safe mode.
- Hit enter on safe mode.
- Once you enter the safe mode, install QuickBooks through the official website of Intuit.
Method 6: Rectify The Registry Issues
The registry in windows is a database containing each and every piece of information of your system. There can be a lot of reasons that the registry files are damaged. However, you can resolve it by restoring the Windows registry. But before you do that, make a backup of the files.
- Go to the start menu and open the search field.
- Type ‘Regedit’ in the field. Press enter.
- Next, click on the file and then tap on explore.
- Provide an appropriate name and save this file to a secure location.
Restore/Fix the Registry:
- In the search field, type ‘Regedit’.
- Press enter and select the file.
- Now open it and press import.
- Look for the backup of registry files and press okay.
Alternate Method That Might Help Fix QuickBooks Error 1606
Below enlisted are other methods that might also help to fix and eliminate error 1606 could not access network location QuickBooks message pop.
- Update your Windows to the latest version.
- Restore the entire system.
- Clean install QuickBooks. (uninstall and install QuickBooks again, properly)
- Download the installation file online if the installation disc is damaged.
- Configure your firewall and network protection settings.
- Use the rebuild utility tool to resolve the error.
- Run QuickBooks tool hub or file doctor to diagnose and eliminate error 1606 QuickBooks install.
The main motive of this article was to help you understand what the infamous QuickBooks error 1606 is and why it arises in your system repeatedly. Moreover, with this article, we hope you were able to eliminate the issue from its very source. Error 1606 could not access network location QuickBooks popping up can create a lot of havoc in the workplace, especially if it is putting an abrupt stop to the operations. We recommend you use the above-mentioned methods to resolve the error as soon as possible before it does not harm your system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 – What are the symptoms of QuickBooks error 1606?
Answer – When the error flashes on your screen, look out for the following warning signs:
- The system or QuickBooks crashes more frequently than ever.
- You are not able to install updates.
- Error 1606 could not access network location QuickBooks pops on your screen.
- The computer is unresponsive to inputs.
- QuickBooks crashes or freezes every now and then.
Q.2 – What is error 1606 that could not access network location 0?
Answer – Error 1606 can be caused by a lot of possible causes. The most common ones are the remains of the previous installation, the registry settings being misconfigured, and the folder redirection. This is an installation error that can be resolved by our above-mentioned resolution methods.
Q.3 – Why am I getting an unrecoverable QuickBooks error?
Answer – Unrecoverable QuickBooks error, as the name suggests, is an error that is not recoverable. However, if you’re receiving it, you can resolve the same. The error might be arising because:
- Outdated version of QuickBooks
- Windows is not up to date
- Your system’s data is damaged or corrupted.
- There’s something wrong with the PC’s default settings.
- Repairing requirements of the program codes.