Quickbooks is the most used accounting software these days. Quickbooks files contain a huge amount of company data that is important for the monetary activities of the company. It can create chaos if anything happens to Quickbooks file or any of the Quickbooks data. Therefore, it is always recommended to create a backup of the company file in Quickbooks. It is an important step because it is the only way you can save your data from losing. Once you have created the backup of a company file, if you want to use it, you need to restore the backup in Quickbooks. This is a comprehensive guide on how you can restore the backup file in Quickbooks. A whole process to restore a backup in Quickbooks is mentioned. We have also mentioned different ways to fix the Quickbooks is not able to restore backup error. In case you are not able to restore a backup in Quickbooks, this article is for you.
Steps to restore a backup in Quickbooks
Here is a full process using which you can restore a backup in Quickbooks. Follow the process as it is mentioned to easily restore a backup in Quickbooks.
- The very initial step is to go to the file option and then go to the restore or open company option.
- After this, you are needed to click on the option to restore the backup file.
- Next, you are needed to click on the option to create a local backup. It will then redirect you to the backup window.
- Next, you will be required to go to the folder in which you have stored the backup file.
- You are then needed to look for the backup file and then click on the open option.
- Next, you will be needed to go to the location where you want to save the backup file.
- After this, you are needed to click on the save option and there might be some prompt, you are needed to respond to those prompt.
Steps to restore company file for Quickbooks Mac
In Quickbooks for Mac, restoring the company file is different from the process for Quickbooks desktop. Unlike the Quickbooks desktop, the Quickbooks restore the file in Quickbooks Mac is stored in a file with .dmg extension. The backup in Quickbooks Mac is stored automatically whenever you close the file. Follow the steps mentioned below to restore a backup from Mac:
- The very first step in the process is to find the backup file. You are needed to look for the file with .dmg extension. Make sure you select the most recently created .dmg file.
- Once done, the next thing that you need to do is to drag the required company file in a folder in which you want to save it.
- After that, the next step is to drag the attachments. You are needed to do so if you have opted for backup for Quickbooks attachment. Make sure that you save the attachment in the same folder as your company file.
- After this, you are needed to open the file that you have restored.
- Once done, you are needed to go to the preferences option and select for the attachment option. Once done, you will be required to move to the library menu option and choose for the existing attachments.
- You are needed to direct it to the attachments that you have saved and then open them.
- Once done, you are needed to turn off the preference prompt.
- It will then create a backup of both the company file and the attachments that you need.
Steps to restore a Quickbooks windows backup file on Mac
In case you have converted the Quickbooks windows to Mac and you are not able to open the backup file, you are needed to follow the steps we have mentioned below:
- The very first step is to update the Quickbooks software on your system.
- After this, you are needed to open the file in Quickbooks for Windows.
- Now, you are needed to resort the list.
- After this, you are needed to employ the verify data and rebuild data utilities to make sure you have not lost any data.
- Once done, you are needed to click on the File option and then click on the utility option. Once done, you are required to click on the option to copy the company file for the Mac.
- Now, You will be needed to save the file to the most accessible location.
- Once done, you are required to transfer the file from the Windows system to the Mac system.
- After this, In the Quickbooks Mac, you are required to click on the option to restore the file.
- Now, you are needed to select the file that you have transferred.
- After this, when you will be asked for the confirmation, you are needed to click on the Ok option.
- Next, you are needed to type the name of the file and save it.
Read more - How to convert QuickBooks file from mac to windows?
Creating and restoring backup in Quickbooks is a simple process. We hope that all the steps that we have mentioned will help you restore a backup in Quickbooks. We have mentioned methods for every situation and every version of the Quickbooks software you use. In case you still have some issues related to restoring backup in Quickbooks or any other topic related to Quickbooks, you can call us on our toll-free number provided.