Quickbooks has a feature of a multi-user mode. In this mode, many users can access the same file at the same time. It enables users to work more productively and in a simple manner. It is much more time saving than the single-user mode. But many of the Quickbooks users do not know how to set up the multi-user mode in Quickbooks or how can they share the company file in QuickBooks. This article is a guide to share company files in QuickBooks and set up the multi-user mode in Quickbooks. We have mentioned simple steps in which you can set up the multi-user mode in Quickbooks. If you are facing any error while using the Quickbooks software, you can download the Quickbooks tool hub to resolve the error.
Things you need before going for a multi-user setup
You need the following mentioned things present before you can opt for the multi-user mode.
- You need to keep in mind that all the users you are going to add in the multi-user mode, they are required to first set up the user mode in their systems.
- The second thing that you need to check is that all the permissions are granted that are necessary to share company files in Quickbooks.
- The last thing is database access. Check your database settings and start the database server.
Ways to Setup the Multi-user Mode to share Company Files in Quickbooks
Switch to the multi-user mode
- Go to your Quickbooks software and open it.
- If you have an outdated version of Quickbooks, first install the latest one.
- Once installed. open the software and go to the file option.
- There you will see a utility option, there you will get an option to host in multi-user mode.
- Click on that option and it will start your multi-user setup.
Update your folder permissions to share company files in Quickbooks
- Look for the folder where your Quickbooks company file is present.
- Next, you will have to go to the details of the folder.
- Look for the security option and click on it.
- You will then see a list of options in which you will be able to edit the security details. Add the Quickbooks service and provide full access.
- Save the settings that you have made.
- The next thing that you have to do is to grant access to the windows to share files in Quickbooks
- Now, you will have to go to the file explorer.
- In the file explorer, you will be required to look for the folder where your company file is present.
- Once you have found the folder, you will be required to go to the share option and add a new share.
- In that option, you will have to look for the QuickBooks service and select it.
- Once this is all done, you will be required to click on the option to grant full access to the folder.
Update the security settings for your system
- Firstly, go to your firewall settings.
- In the setting, look for the advance setting option and click on it.
- After that, look for the inbound rule option, there you will have to add a new rule and edit the port section.
- In the port section, choose the TCP connection option and enter the port that is used for the version of Quickbooks that you have.
- Allow it to build a connection.
- The next thing is that you will have to grant permission to every user by selecting all of them.
- Save your changes and close the firewall settings.
- After this is all done, you will be required to restart your system and open your Quickbooks software in a multi-user mode.
Update the windows admin rights to share files in Quickbooks
If you are using Windows 10, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- The first thing that you have to do is to go to the accounts section of the system and add a member there.
- You will have to select the option to add a member.
- After this, you will be required to select the option to add members without their signature. You will get this option in the end.
- You will have to next enter a username and password for the particular member you have added.
- You will have to grant access to the new user.
- Next, you will be required to mark the new member as an admin and save the changes.
- Once the process is done, restart your system.
If you are using Windows 8 or 7, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- The first thing that you need to do is to open the control panel on your system.
- Next, you will have to go to the account section and create a new user there.
- Once this is done, you will be required to enter a name for the user you have just created.
- Assign the new user the admin rights.
- Save your settings.
Use the remote method
- For this, you will have to go to the Quickbooks software and switch your account to the multi-user mode.
- Confirm for the same.
- After this, you will have to add all the users that you want to add.
- For this, you will have to go to the company option and then to the user option. There you will be able to see the option to add a user.
- Enter the details of the user and save it.
We hope now after reading this article you will have a clear picture of the Quickbooks multi-user mode and how can you share your files in Quickbooks. We have attempted our best to provide you with all the necessary information that you need to share a company file in Quickbooks. If any of the questions are left unanswered, call our support team and get help with the same.