QuickBooks is one such software that makes your accounting work easy and provides you with advanced-level features. But, sometimes while updating QBs you may have observed that it shows QuickBooks Error 1618 on your window and you can’t proceed further. This error occurs when you are trying to install & update QBs software. QuickBooks update error 1618 is a frequently appearing error. But, don’t get frustrated as after our thorough analysis, you will be able to fix it and carry on with your work.
Overview of QuickBooks Error 1618
QuickBooks error code 1618 prevails at the time of installing/updating QBs software. Another reason is when many ‘Windows Installers’ are running simultaneously and you can’t install QBs. As Windows Installer is very essential for installing programs. You may see an error message flashing on your window “There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618)” or “Error 1618. “ERROR _ INSTALL _ ALREADY _ RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.”
Factors Leading to QuickBooks Error 1618
To fix error 1618 QuickBooks you must see the factors that can lead to this error. By knowing the factors you can eliminate the error quickly without making any mistakes. So, look at the factors listed below:
- If ‘Microsoft Runtime Libraries’ are facing issues during installation.
- In case, you use MSIEXEC for downloading apps and it stops working you can get this error.
- The installation of QBs software is incorrect.
- Your programs-related file has been removed by you mistakenly.
- The system is being attacked by the virus.
- Microsoft’s registry has been corrupted.
Read More - How to Solve Printing Problems in QuickBooks?
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618
When QuickBooks update error 1618 pops up, your PC shows signs that you are going to face an issue if it is not fixed. Here are the symptoms:-
- Your system will hang when you get this error.
- You will see a QuickBooks error code 1618 message pop up on your screen.
- The computer gets frozen.
- Input commands from the keyboard & mouse stopped working.
Rectifying Methods of QuickBooks Error 1618
To avoid such outcomes, QuickBooks update error 1618 requires an immediate fix. Here are some methods for resolving the error 1618 QuickBooks:
Method 1: Restore ‘Microsoft Runtime Libraries’
You can use this method to fix Quickbooks update error 1618. But it may require you to contact an expert. So, look at the instructions with utmost care:
- Download ‘MS Visual C++ redistributable package’.
- Choose ‘Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)’ for a 32-bit computer.
- You can also select ‘Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)’ for a 64-bit system.
- After downloading the package, save it somewhere easy to access.
- Change the name of the package ‘vcredist_X86.exe or vcredist_X64.exe’.
- QuickBooks must be reinstalled after restarting the system.
Method 2: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool helps in resolving issues related to installation. Go through the steps carefully:
- Turn off the QBs desktop and download the ‘QBs Tool Hub file’.
- Open the .exe file.
- Tick on ‘I Agree To The Terms and Conditions’.
- Once it is finished, you can choose ‘Installation Issues’ under Tool Hub.
- Last, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and wait until it fixes error 1618.
Method 3: Make a Backup for the ‘Windows Registry’
You must make a backup for your Windows registry files. Follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Go to the Windows option and tap on Start.
- Hold Windows + R, it will open the Run window.
- Enter Regedit and click on My Computer.
- Now, select the Export from File option.
- Select All Option under Export Range.
- When the backup is finished, remove the Keys and it deletes your sub-keys too.
Method 4: Turn Off ‘MSIEXEC.EXE’ from the Background
If the error is not yet resolved then you need to turn off MSIEXEC.EXE from the background. To do that, look at the procedure below:
- Hold Ctrl + Alt + Delete and open ‘Task Manager’.
- You can filter the procedure alphabetically by selecting the Processes option.
- Choose MSIEXEC.EXE and tap on End Process.
- Lastly, shut down Task manager & install QBs desktop.
Method 5: Upgrade ‘Windows Installer’ to the Latest Version
To fix this error, you need to update the Windows installer. Go through the steps below:
- Sign in as System Admin and see if ‘Windows Installer’ is updated or not.
- Go to My Computer and tap on C:\WINDOWS\system32.
- Now, choose Properties and hit on Versions.
- Then, update ‘Windows Installer’ and restart your PC.
QuickBooks may save the time of small and medium-sized businesses. However, issues with QuickBooks Error 1618 can occur from time to time for QuickBooks users. Although these recurring errors are irritating, there are solutions to correct them. You should be able to quickly fix any QuickBooks installation issues by using our advice wisely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do I fix a connection error in QuickBooks?
- Set up Firewall Settings.
- Start the Computer Management Window.
- Check your Internet Connection.
- Clean Install in Selective Startup Mode.
Q2. How do I fix QuickBooks desktop update errors?
- First, open QuickBooks Tool Hub and click on Installation Issues.
- After that select QBs Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Hit on a fix and restart your computer.